420: Life Style
"420" is a number that has become a symbol associated with marijuana, and has had an impact on the culture of Puerto Rico, the United States, and Latin America in various ways (BBC, 2021):
- Celebrations and Events: April 20, also known as "4/20," has become a celebratory date for marijuana lovers. In many places in Puerto Rico, the United States, and Latin America, events and gatherings are organized in which marijuana is consumed publicly, with activities such as concerts, marches, and marijuana-related fairs.
- Legalization movements: The 420 has been used as a symbol to promote the legalization of marijuana in Puerto Rico, the United States and other Latin American countries. Legalization advocates use the date and number as a reminder of the fight to regulate and normalize marijuana use, and as a way to raise awareness of the potential benefits of legalization, such as tax revenue generation and reduced from the black market.
- Pop culture: The 420 has influenced pop culture in Puerto Rico, the United States and Latin America, appearing in songs, movies, television series and memes related to marijuana. The number has become a recognized symbol in popular culture evoking marijuana and its use, and has been used in many works of entertainment as a reference to cannabis culture.
- Changes in social perception: 420 has contributed to a change in the social perception of marijuana in Puerto Rico, the United States, and Latin America. Although marijuana remains an illegal substance in many places, the use of the 420 number and the growing conversation about marijuana have led to a change in the social perception of marijuana, from being considered a taboo drug to being seen by some as an accepted recreational or medicinal substance.
- Cannabis Industry: 420 has had an impact on the cannabis industry in Puerto Rico, the United States, and Latin America. With the increasing legalization and regulation of marijuana in some places, a legal cannabis industry has emerged that includes the production, distribution, and sale of marijuana-related products such as medicinal products, edibles, oils, and accessories. The 420 has become a marketing opportunity for the cannabis industry, with companies using the number and date to promote their products and attract consumers.
Cannabis has had various positive aspects in different cultures and professions around the world. According to Pescador (2018), for El Diario.es, some of the positive aspects that have been observed include:
- Medicine: Cannabis has been used medicinally for centuries in various cultures. It has been used to treat a wide variety of health conditions, including pain relief, reduction of inflammation, control of nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy, and treatment of neurological conditions such as epilepsy. In many places, the legalization of medical cannabis has allowed access to treatment for patients suffering from debilitating medical conditions. (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2020).
- Industry and employment: The legalization of cannabis has spawned a new industry in many countries, leading to job creation and economic opportunities. The production, distribution, and sale of cannabis and related products have generated jobs in areas such as cannabis-related agriculture, manufacturing, marketing, research and development, and tourism. This has had a positive impact on the economy and has provided employment opportunities for many people. (Wallace, 2021)
- Reducing the burden on the justice system: The legalization of cannabis has led to the reduction of the burden on the justice system in some places. Before legalization, many people were arrested and faced criminal charges for possession or sale of cannabis, leading to congestion in the justice system and wasting resources in prosecuting cannabis-related crimes. Legalization has helped reduce the burden on the justice system, allowing resources to be redirected to other, more pressing issues. (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2020).
- Innovation and scientific advances: The legalization of cannabis has boosted scientific research in areas such as medicine, agriculture and chemistry. This has led to new scientific and technological advances in understanding the health effects of cannabis, improving cultivation techniques, creating new products, and optimizing cannabis production. This has allowed for innovation and the development of new technologies and approaches in the cannabis industry. (Wallace, 2021)
- Culture and community: Cannabis has had an impact on culture and community in many parts of the world. He has helped create communities of like-minded people around responsible cannabis use, fostering the creation of social groups, community events and activities. Cannabis has also influenced popular culture, music, art, and fashion, and has helped create a cultural identity around the plant. (Wallace, 2021)
It is important to note that cannabis also has its challenges and negative effects, and its impact can vary depending on the context and the specific situation. As with any substance, it is essential to use and consume cannabis responsibly, complying with local laws and regulations, and considering the potential effects on health and well-being. (Rico, 2022). Opinion on cannabis use can vary considerably depending on profession, local regulations and individual circumstances. Below are some possible positive opinions that each professional or individual could have about cannabis use (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2020):
- Pilot: A pilot might have a negative opinion about the use of cannabis, since his profession implies responsibility for the safety of passengers and the operation of an aircraft, which requires optimal alertness and concentration at all times. . Cannabis use could interfere with these abilities and compromise flight safety.
- Economist: An economist could have a neutral or positive opinion on cannabis use, depending on their perspective. They might see it as an economic opportunity, in terms of job creation, industry creation, and tax revenue generation through cannabis regulation and legalization. They could also consider the potential benefits in reducing costs in the justice system and reallocating resources to other areas.
- Engineer: An engineer may have a neutral or positive opinion about cannabis use, as long as it does not interfere with his ability to perform his job safely and efficiently. Some engineers may find cannabis a way to relax or manage stress after work, as long as it doesn't affect their performance at work.
- Barber: A barber could have a neutral or positive opinion about cannabis use, depending on his or her local approach and regulations. Some barbers may see it as an opportunity to attract a specific clientele interested in cannabis and offer hair and beard care services with cannabis-related products.
- Physician: A physician's opinion on cannabis use may vary depending on jurisdiction and local medical regulations. Some doctors may see it as a valid option for the treatment of certain medical conditions in patients, especially in those states or countries where medical cannabis has been legalized and has been shown to be effective in certain conditions.
- Programmer: A programmer might have a neutral or even positive opinion about cannabis use, depending on how it affects him and whether she can continue to carry out her programming duties effectively. Some programmers may find that cannabis helps them relax and stimulate their creativity at work, as long as they use it responsibly and legally.
- Gamer: A gamer could have a neutral or positive opinion about cannabis use, depending on how it affects him and if he can continue to enjoy video games responsibly. Some gamers may find that cannabis helps them relax and become more immersed in the gaming experience, as long as they use it responsibly and it does not negatively affect their health or gaming performance.
BBC (2021). Cómo el 420 se convirtió en un símbolo de la marihuana. https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-56809893
CNN Español (2021). Marihuana legal: los países de América que han legalizado el uso del cannabis y los que no. https://cnnespanol.cnn.com/2021/09/01/marihuana-legal-paises-america-latina-cannabis-legal-orix/
Pescador, D. (2018). Beneficios de la marihuana en tu cuerpo y tu cerebro. ElDiario.es, https://www.eldiario.es/tumejoryo/estar_bien/efectos-marihuana-cuerpo-cerebro_1_2063271.html
Rico, Juanita. (2022). Cannabis en América Latina, una industria millonaria. OpenDemocracy 2023.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2020). ¿Cómo afecta el consumo de marihuana la vida escolar, laboral y social?. Retrieved from http://nida.nih.gov/es/publicaciones/serie-de-reportes/la-marihuana/como-afecta-el-consumo-de-marihuana-la-vida-escolar-laboral-y-social
Wallace, A. (2021). La industria del cannabis florece en parte gracias al impulso durante la pandemia. Cable News Network. A Warner Bros. Discovery Company. https://cnnespanol.cnn.com/2021/10/28/industria-cannabis-estados-unidos-impulso-pandemia-trax/